Monday 17 September 2007

Introducing Lambo Baker Pt.1

A cut above your average aspiring MC.. Meet Lambo Baker.

The Name..
Well, my real name is Ernest Baker. One day I was thinking about other names that would sound dope with Baker. I was thinking of all sorts of ridiculous shit, but Lambo just stuck. I think that's it's weird enough that it's memorable, but not too weird or corny. And even if it is, fuck it.

Location..
I'm from Westchester, Illinois. It's a small little suburb outside of Chicago. I don't think anything influenced Less Than Zero more than growing up in Westchester. My whole life I've been right between the city and the suburbs, between white culture and black culture. I just think that the things I've seen and experienced allow me to make music from a viewpoint that no other rapper does. It's not some crazy hood shit, but it's definitely a lot more than you'd expect.

When did it become apparent that you had a lyrical talent?
It's hard to pinpoint a moment, but I've always appreciated lyrically driven rap, or just music in general. It's easy to get lost in the beats, but lyrics have always been just as big of a deal for me. So I make an effort to be lyrically impressive with anything I write. And I don't mean being the guy who has the craziest similes or wordplay, but being the guy that truly says something that connects with listeners.

What is it about your songs that people can relate to?
I try to be as honest as possible in my songs and I think people, especially other teenagers can relate to it. I talk about trying to look cool for a girl you wanna get at, or wasting all of your money on clothes but still loving how good it feels to get fresh. I talk about experiences in the suburbs and the realities of drug use amongst teenagers. There are so many issues on Less Than Zero that are gonna hit home for other kids out there like me that like 50 Cent or Lil' Wayne, but also have nothing in common with them.

What do you think about the Kanye/50 stuff that's happening right now? What do you think of the state of music in general?
I think music is in a really good place right now. We're witnessing musical history right now with the showdown between Kanye and 50. I love it. The VMA's gave me a lot of hope too. Seeing all of those rap and rock collaborations was dope. I feel like music is changing for the better right in front of our eyes. The Internet is starting to take some of the power away from the labels, and I think we can look forward to a lot more quality, creative music in the next few years.

Who are your biggest inspirations? What would we find if we looked in your iTunes?
Kanye is obviously an inspiration. Graduation is still getting mad spins. That's sad that downloading culture has me saying "still" when the album just came out. M.I.A.'s latest album is my shit. I like the new Rooney a lot. I usually have something from the Clipse in rotation at any given moment. I'm into whatever. Whoever's pushing the boundaries and trying to make something different. I can enjoy the people who aren't as well. I hate music snobs who turn up their nose at anything on the radio. A hit is a hit. I'm gonna have TV On The Radio and Soulja Boy on my playlist, ya dig?

Part.2 coming sooon.
Check the myspace in the meantime.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, this guy is actually pretty good. post up part two of that interview asap!

Anonymous said...

my nigga, you smooth with ya words and you think em through....well done, i dig this whole int.

Anonymous said...

yeah this guy has got it going for him...

Anonymous said...

Just wait till you hear Sweet Dreams, thats one of my favourite tunes at the moment I got a link from a guy on Gamespot and its a wicked tune.

Anonymous said...

He has herpes :( That's not hip hop.